Thursday, September 15, 2011

Body awareness


Often when I massage a client I will hear them say, "I didn't know I hurt there."
Sometimes that is because they hurt more in one area than another. When relaxation and circulation return to one muscle or group of muscles, the next area of discomfort begins to say hey, over here!
This is "normal" and clients should not be alarmed. The client's body awareness is key to performance, no matter what sport they are training for. This is why I recommend full body treatments. Another reason for full body work is that one muscle group is connected to the next. For the full benefit of recovery from training I recommend it once or twice a month.
Spot treatments are a great way to keep clients going, and get specific problem areas worked out. By receiving this work, clients can continue their work with greater ease.
As body awareness increases, the ability for the athlete to listen to their body, trust it to perform the sport at hand and increase the level of intensity will be reflected.
In this picture, myself and fellow kettle bell enthusiast, train to work on developing technique for the kettle bell push press. form and body awareness are keys to success. Like anything else, every session is a work in progress. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment